Episode 3 : Saturday night cruise

Posted: Monday, April 7, 2008 by -f-l-o- in Labels:

Coincidentally, I have a conference to attend in London the following week. It would be nice to catch up with an old friend or rather, a high school sweet heart. I am not really sure on how James would suit the idea. It may not appear as a big deal but I would love it if he knows now than finding out later and thinks that, perhaps, I have reasons for not telling him.

James has been staying at my place since Amy left for the holiday. He asked me to move in with him a week back but I told him I need to think about it because my place is much closer to my work place. But I didn't tell him that I am not ready to let Amy paying rents for the whole flat. She is still looking for a job and until then, I want to be there so that she won't feel a bit too burdened by the living cost in Edinburgh.

Sometimes James thinks that I am doing too much for Amy. He thinks I need to let Amy live on her own at times. I always do but never for long. Amy and I always find some way to be near each other every time. She is never a spoilt sister so I believe in giving her everything that I could because that is what an older sister does.

I was done with the dishes and headed to Amy's room after dinner. James was in the shower, he would be out in a while to meet up with his mates for their Saturday 'boys night out'. Her room smelled like mild vanilla because she loves burning the scented stick in the morning. The bed was still in a mess, you could almost tell that she was in a hurry before leaving the room. There were pictures of her and her friends in costumes on the dressing mirror and next to it in a frame was our family photo. Not the one with Mom but with Jane. Maybe because we never had any family photo taken with Mom. Plus, I think because Amy has very little memory of Mom, she regards Jane as our mother.

Jane is a very lovely mother, but she is not mine. I am still holding on strongly to the fact that she is only our step mother. I don't think it's has anything to do with her being the reason on why we had to leave Malaysia. That is James' theory, by the way. I think it's due to the fact that I remember almost everything about Mom. Her dark hair, her tanned skin, her slim figure, her accent... She had a very thick Malaysian accent.

I sat on Amy's bed and reached for the book by its side. From the metal marker, it showed that she has read half of the book. I opened the page and the marker fell. I picked it up and it was engraved with the words: Mari lawan ombak! Cheeky, I thought and smiled.

The metal marker does look like a mini surfing board.